This page aims to illustrate the geographical origins and spread of the Catchloves within the homelands straddling the Hampshire & West Sussex border. It also includes photographs of the some of the places associated with Catchloves in the area and links to images on other web sites.
The sketch map below plots occurrences of the Catchlove name found in census returns and parish registers in the Catchlove heartland, spanning the borders of Hampshire and West Sussex.
The lovely old 1906 map of Hampshire below includes a good portion of the western border of Sussex and could have been made for the Catchloves, as it shows the heart of their homelands beautifully.
For an excellent modern sketch map of Chichester and West Sussex go to www.resortmaps.com - hard copies are available free of charge at local bookshops and tourist attractions.
St Mary’s Church, Compton as it is today (author’s photograph)
St James’s Church, Warblington, as it is today (author’s photograph)
St Pancras parish church, Chichester, where George CATCHLOVE and Elizabeth NEWELL were married in 1794. The parish of St Pancras lies outside the city walls beyond East Gate Square.
The Market Cross, Chichester (built 1501). The market cross is the literal centre of the city, being located on the junction of the four arterial roads, North Street, South Street, West Street and East Street. It remains a focal point of the city and a well-known landmark and meeting place.
Parish records show a larger number of Catchloves settled in Chichester, the county town of West Sussex, than census returns seem to suggest.
St. Andrew Oxmarket, Chichester, where Thomas the Shoemaker (Family 1) & his wife Sarah had their first children baptised. The former church is now an art gallery displaying work by local artists. It can be found by following a narrow passage off East Street.
The cathedral served as the parish church for the parish of St Peter the Great until the parish church was built just across the road in 1852. The parish church of St Peter the Great was declared redundant in 1979 and became an antiques market and later a wine bar.
St Peter the Great was the largest parish in Chichester, covering more than half of the city within the walls and several Catchlove baptisms or marriages took place in the cathedral, including the marriages of Matthew CATCHLOVE & Ann SIMS, the grandparents of William the Chairmaker and Edmund the Wheelwright (Family 4) in 1747, Thomas the Shoemaker & Sarah CANNEC (Family 1) in 1796, Edmund the Woodman & Jane COLEMAN (Family 2) in 1830 and Edmund the Wheelwright & Mary PERHAM (Family 4) in 1841.
BELOW: Chichester Cathedral. Left to Right: sundial, spire, bell tower (author’s photographs).